Thursday, March 11, 2010

What kind of leader am I?

This chapter had me laughing out loud. The idea of our leadership styles reflecting the way that we eat a lollipop seemed a little strange to me at first but the more I read and thought about it, the more I realized how on target Claudia and Kim are. Oh, I’m a saver and optimist by the way. What about you?

My favorite question at the end of this chapter: “How do you respond to the idea that we are all one big bag of assorted flavors? How might God want you to do a better job of understanding and accepting people with different personalities and leadership styles? Share a specific example.

My response: I think it’s amazing that God created each and every one of us uniquely so that when we work together we are capable of achieving great things as one big bag of assorted flavors. When I begin to think about my close friends and family members it makes me laugh because I realize that every person that is in my life serves such a great purpose!! I have friends and family members in my life that are similar to me and that I go to when I need some understanding and support. I also have those people in my life that cause me to see things from another perspective. These people challenge me and help me become a better person. My sister for example, is what I would describe as more of a twirler and strategist. When the two of us work together we can accomplish great things! Emily, my sister, is a big picture person and is very creative and good about planning. I however, would consider my strengths to be more in the logistics and details of planning. Together we make the perfect team. Sometimes these differences make it difficult to relate and understand one another, but when we are able to work out our differences we are one great team. If we were all the same flavor, life would be so boring!

Take a look at yourself and imagine the whole world being just like you. If we’re being honest with ourselves I’m sure we would all say that would be no way to live!

Challenge: Be intentional about finding your leadership style (including your strengths and weaknesses) today and realize your friends and family members’ leadership styles as well. Try to see those who are different than you as being some of the most influential people in your life because they may cause you to change for the better and look to those that are similar to you to offer support and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment