Thursday, March 11, 2010

What's my Passion?

What am I passionate about? This question may seem fairly simple to answer at a first glance-for me its music, nature, my family and close friends, helping people, etc. After reading the title I almost gave myself a pat on the back and said “well you’ve got this chapter nailed already, Laura”. But then as I read on I realized that what this simple question appeared to be at first, led to a series of bigger questions I could not seem to answer…

What is my purpose? What is God’s plan for my life?

When determining your life mission statement, I think it’s really important to focus on the person deep inside your heart that God has created you to be.

My life mission statement is to be a witness for Christ, encourage, and counsel those who cross my path on a day to day basis. As a young lady seeking a degree in Psychology and Bible, I felt that this fit for me, for the time being. I have always loved helping people, and being an encourager.

For you, this may be something related to music, art, business, education, ministry, service, politics, the possibilities are endless. God has created each and every one of us with unique gifts and abilities. So what makes you tick? What makes you excited and energized? What gifts has God given you that you can use for the glory of His Kingdom?

Helpful Hint in writing your life mission statement:
1. Free write about where you see yourself in ten years or so. If you had to make an educated guess about what would you be doing what would it be? Where would your time and energy be spent?
2. Make a list (perhaps 10 or so) of verbs that you are good at and enjoy doing
3. Begin narrowing down this list until you come to one or two that you think fit well. It may even be helpful to talk these other with a close friend or family member that knows you well
4. Do the same process in regards to “whom”. Is there a group of people, or age group you are specifically passionate about? Maybe a cause you believe in?
5. If you’re still stuck you’re probably thinking about it too hard. This should be something that is simply and describes YOU!

Challenge: Now that you have your mission…GO. Try everyday to live out your mission in some way or another, set reasonable goals, and discuss them with a close friend that will hold you accountable to the person that God wants you to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment